You’ve seen ’em. The guild names that make you groan. Our guild name in WoW is “No,” which I think is great, but it might break some of the rules. Here are some examples of “don’ts”:
- ANY and EVERY guild name that uses a vague Latin phrase. Listen, people, it’s a dead language for a reason, and been beaten to death like a bad, bad horse in MMOs everywhere. It grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard whenever I see someone badly parsing Latin in a guild tag.
- More overused words: “Phoenix”, “Order” (J.K. Rowling, I blame you for these), “Legion” (you’re not a legion, you’re six guys and fifty alts), “Knight”, “Alliance”, “War”, “Guild” and “Crusaders”.
- Double so for <Allied Knights of the Phoenix War Legion>.
- Triple so if you can rewrite the above in Latin.
- Dull guild names… seen waaaay too many of these. Usually one word, usually forgettable.